Sunday, January 5, 2014

Joining Friday Fit Club

I think this is the week it's starting to look
more bump and less "is she just fat?" but
I'm still not obviously pregnant.
Well on Friday I was looking at the blog reel and saw a blogger I follow, Duckie, introducing a Friday Fit Club to kick off the New Year.

I thought, "That's perfect for Meaningful Activity." Since I announced this pregnancy I've been neglecting this blog... but I also have been neglecting working out. First trimester I was just so exhausted and sick feeling, and then the holidays were a whir. But now I have no excuse and exercise during pregnancy is a good thing.

The rules? We set goals for each week and keep each other accountable with an update and photo each Friday. Easy peasy, right?

For newcomers to my blog I'm 18 going on 19 weeks pregnant with my first. :) I'm due in June and then my focus will shift to losing the baby weight. For now I want to go for having a healthy pregnancy.

So my goals for this week is to find pregnancy safe workouts, and do 3 30 minute sessions. Now that I'm past the first trimester fatigue and nausea I really should concentrate on keeping fit for the delivery and to help prevent gestational diabetes. I also want to try to get back to tracking calories, only now for steady healthy weight gain. Since I found out I was pregnant, I am only 1 pound heavier, even though I look much more so... I went down 5 pound actually by week 12 I think, from nausea, but then around week 13 or 14 started to gain that back. I think I have officially gained one pound more than I was when I found out I was pregnant (at 7 weeks). I am still down from the weight I was I would have conceived, as this baby was a surprise and I was actively dieting and exercising for weight loss then. I am about 8 pounds less than I would have been at conception.

Since I am obese/overweight, the doctors want my weight gain at the end to be 10-15 pounds. I have 21 weeks to go, so if we use my starting weight as when I found out I was pregnant, I should gain about a half pound a week. However, if we use my conception weight then it can be more than that. As long as the baby is growing though, less is okay, but I should be striving for healthy weight gain now, not weight loss or maintenance.




Friday Fit Club

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for participating and congratulations on your pregnancy! I know my first pregnancy was a doozy and the first trimester was the WORST! Like, ever. Even the foods I usually loved I couldn't stomach. My doctor during my first pregnancy was VERY strict (everyone hated him) but I listened to what he told me and I hardly gained any extra weight. My diet consisted mainly of protein and veggies.

    He warned me to stay away from starchy foods and he knew when I ate pasta because he could see the swelling in my face and hands. He said that people don't notice how much a little pasta and salty food can add a lot of extra water weight. If you eat pasta for dinner, the next day try squeezing your hand into a fist and you'll notice how much tighter it feels - that's how you know if you're starting to swell.

    As for exercising, it's good to do a little but it's important not to over-do it. The best thing to do is wear comfortable shoes and go walking. Also, a little yoga and stretching will help you in the long run and will make labor more bearable.

    ♥ Duckie.

    ReplyDelete